After being bitten by one of the deadliest snakes in the world a Caboolture woman has survived to tell her story.

Sunshine Coast Snake Catcher Richie Gilbert said in a post on Facebook he was contacted by the woman who was bitten on the finger by a snake.

"She tried to get it away from her cat, which had caught it and was chewing on it in her living room," Mr Gilbert said in the post.   
Unknown to the lady it was an Eastern Brown Snake the second deadliest snake in the world.

The snake catcher Mr Gilbert said the woman known as "Yvonne" panicked and instead of applying correct first aid, she carried the snake to her neighbours house.   

When the neighbour wasn't sure what to do, or what type of snake it was... she carried it back home.   

"An ambulance was called while they were waiting, they applied a bandage but it was around 10-15 minutes after the bite," Mr Gilbert said.   

Fortunately for Yvonne the brown snake was only a juvenile, and only gave her a 'dry bite' (without venom).   

You can read more about this story at the below link

Please note people we do not recommend handling any snakes, and we are sure your Sunshine Coast neighbours don't want you bringing over the wildlife either.

You can review our Snake Bites First Aid charts as your first aid reference for snake and spider bites


We'll never display or share your email address

Contact Us

07 5438 8888

Send us an Email

8/10 Capital Place
Birtinya QLD 4575

ABN 63 114 756 857
ACN 114 756 857