Investing in an AED for your sunshine coast community or workplace could dramatically increase the chance of survival of someone who experiences a Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA).

Sudden cardiac arrest occurs abruptly and often without warning. It is triggered by an electrical malfunction that causes an abnormal rhythm that disrupts to the heart’s normal pumping action, and prevents the flow of oxygen to the brain, lungs and other organs. The heart may either stop beating, or beat irregularly and ineffectively in a rhythm known at ventricular fibrillation (VF).

Without immediate treatment, 90-95% of cardiac arrest victims will die. The Heart Foundation estimates that around 10% of all Australian deaths per year result from sudden cardiac death.

The function of an AED is to deliver a shock that can restart the electrical system of the heart. If the AED can be applied to a sudden cardiac arrest victim within the first minute of collapse, their chance of survival is 90%. For every minute that passes, their chance of survival drops 10%. This means that a 10-minute ‘window of opportunity’ exists in which to locate an AED and apply it to the victim. Meanwhile, good cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) can help to prolong the time during which effective defibrillation can be achieved.

So, it is important to know how to do CPR properly. After emergency services have been called, a bystander should use CPR to manually pump the heart until a defibrillator arrives. The AED instructs the user through the process with easy-to-follow visual and verbal prompts and guides.

Fortunately, AEDs are becoming more common, especially in public places. Look for them in the foyer of community centres, near the evacuation plan in business premises, in the office or staff room at schools, behind the bar or in function rooms at sports clubs, on the wall in your gym, in the foyer of libraries, and centrally located near toilet aisles, cinemas or information desks in shopping centres and airports.

An AED would be a valuable addition to your first aid resources. Allens Training includes defibrillators in our range of products for sale – visit our online shop for details, and call one of our friendly staff for assistance with your purchase.

If you purchase one an AED through Allens Training on the Sunshine Coast, when we deliver to you workplace on the Sunshine Coast (from Gympie, Noosa, Maroochydore, Kawana to Caloundra) we will provide training to your staff so they are confident in using the AED.

Allens Training Sunshine Coast regularly runs Nationally recognised CPR training, which includes using AEDs, at our Birtinya training centre – 8/10 Capital Place.

To schedule your next Sunshine Coast CPR course, please book online via our secure website or phone 07 5438 8888.

Name:*
Email:*

We'll never display or share your email address

Contact Us


07 5438 8888


Send us an Email

8/10 Capital Place
Birtinya QLD 4575


ABN 63 114 756 857
ACN 114 756 857